Monday, February 8, 2010

Covering a major news story


Was there anyone in Middlesex or New Haven County that didn't feel the explosion on Sunday from the Kleen Energy power plant in Middletown?

I felt it at my house, and I live 30 miles away. Of course, I didn't know what it was. It seemed minor, like when the neighbors slam the front door too hard.

Then I heard the news, and I knew I'd have a good excuse to miss the Super Bowl. That's alright, I thought as I headed to work. I really don't like football anyway.

We called in a reporter and a photographer that were scheduled to be off, and we coordinated efforts with the New Haven Register, who sent two reporters and a photographer. Our friends in Torrington at The Register Citizen helped us with Twitter.

One person in the newsroom was in charge of getting everything up on our web site, and you can soon watch all the coverage related to the explosion on THIS PAGE.

What we didn't count on was the floods of phone calls from the rest of the world - we spoke with BBC and Sky News in London as well as two Australian news organizations, a newspaper in Italy, someone from Canada and one in France. All wanted to know more about the explosion, and we ended up going on air with them trying to help them with their coverage while still trying to focus on our coverage.

A daily newspaper in France actually ended up using our staff photographer's photo on their front page, via the Associated Press. I think I saw the same photo on a Swedish newspaper's web site as well.

For tomorrow's paper, we are hoping to get some aerial photos via the New Haven Register, and hopefully we'll know more soon about the victims involved. Stay tuned.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer Sprague said...

Great job covering an unspeakable tragedy. Can't wait to read more of your blog!

February 10, 2010 at 5:54 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home