Saturday, June 19, 2010

Speaking at the senior center

The Haddam Senior Center invited me to come speak on Friday, and I was excited to do so. Not knowing exactly what direction to take my presentation in, I asked some friends for help.

"Speak about the website," a friend suggested. "Bring your laptop and show them what the site looks like."

"Tell them how we make the newspaper," another one said. "Let them know who does what and how the paper gets put together."

But a third friend came up with the best suggestion of all: "Bring your Flip cam and let them take video of each other."

I was hesitant at first, but the interest was high when I pulled the little camera out of my bag and started passing it around.

As center Director Fran Oktavec got it in her hands, I said, "Go ahead, press the big, red button!"

Her eyes lit up, and she walked the camera around the room, introducing everyone by name for the viewers. When she was done, I urged her to press the red button again.

"That's it!" I said. "You just took your first Flip cam video!"

Thrilled, some women huddled around Fran as she played the video back to see her work.

"Should I post it on our website when I get back to the office?" I asked.

Fran's eyes lit up again. "Please do!" she said enthusiastically. "Then everyone can see who we are and what we do here at the senior center!"

1 Comments:

Anonymous canada pharmacy said...

Thanks for this update, I am sure the elders in this institutions were happy to hear you.

June 27, 2010 at 12:21 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home