Friday, March 5, 2010

What I'm reading

After a day full of reading articles, thinking up Twitter phrases and browsing Web sites, I find it difficult to pick up a real book when I get home - especially a non-fiction book.

Sometimes I'll let myself escape reality for a few hours by re-reading "Harry Potter" or a "Mrs. Pollifax" book. Other times, I just crash in front of the TV - or do more work in front of the computer.

When I do read, I have a hard time sticking to just one book at a time.

Right now, for example, I am reading Merrick Alpert's "Morning Sun: A Story of Hope, Purpose, and Power of Family." (Alpert is a Democratic candidate for U.S. Senate and we had him here in the office a couple of weeks ago). But I am also reading Jeff Jarvis' "What Would Google Do?" that I got in the mail from our CEO John Paton.

Since Paton is coming to Middletown for a visit next week, it seemed like a good diea to pick up my "homework" book. So far, it's been very rewarding.

It talks about how we can distribute our news better and how to learn to be where the readers are, instead of just forcing readers to come to us.

Publisher Dan Moriarty is reading it too, and I'm sure we'll have lots to discuss when we're done. You'll also be reading more about our thoughts for the future on these blogs.

Alpert's story about growing up in Colchester, serving in the war, and starting a family is just going to have to wait.

We've got work to do.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Read the Rivereast News. There you'll see a story about a hometown here, Ryan S, Onge, who hails from East Hampton and competed in the recent Winter Olympics. Any mention in the local paper of record? Nope.

March 5, 2010 at 9:21 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish the Press had a Book Blog. You could call it "What I Am Reading" with a comment section, etc. The Press Bookclub. I am a bookworm so I am always looking for the next book to place on the pile and since time is limited ( mostly because this internet thing was developed...more reading, addictively so ) it is always good to get an opinion beforehand. Lately I have wasted a lot of time on some bad books. Do you feel obligated to finish a book if you start it? I do. Only three books I could never manage to finish and they still haunt me but then again I am weird :)See? Even a topic about finishing books could be of interest? Only an idea.

March 6, 2010 at 7:07 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just ordered 'What Would Google Do'. I went to Amazon, read the first few pages, found it interesting and now I have a book coming that I had not planned on reading. Interesting how all of this works. This is why I had posted before about some sort of book section. Thank you for bringing the book up and if it becomes the fourth book I never finish I will send the bill to your CEO.
Sardonica®

March 6, 2010 at 7:27 PM 
Anonymous Viktoria Sundqvist said...

Thank you for reading and commenting.

To the first anynymous, we certainly should have covered Ryan St. Onge more. However, we did follow his results in the Olympics and we tweeted his final race in real time @MPSportseditor. We were hoping to do a feature, but since Ryan lives in Colorado now, we've had a hard time tracking down him and/or his coach.

To anonymous number 2, I do like books and reading and if it makes you happy, I can blog more about what I'm reading when I read it and whether other people should read it.

What are the three other books you haven't finished?

I usually give books about 100 pages. If they don't keep me interested after that, I put it down and move on to another book.

Viktoria Sundqvist/Editor

March 6, 2010 at 11:31 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, you seem to be a non neurotic type. The ability to put down a book after 100 pages! The three books were all by the same writer. John Irving. Some of my favorite fun reads were by him, Garp, Owen Meany and Ciderhouse Rules but the 3 books I couldnt, or have yet, to finish were also by him. Son Of The Circus, Widow For A Year ( which everone else seemed to love) and the last one with a tattoo theme can't even be bothered to try to remember the title. I have had his latest novel in the line up since it came out and I seem to pass it over each time I grab the next book. Interesting I still even bother with his books. Glutton for punishment, I guess.I remember now there was a 4th book. My first can't finish it book...Little House On the Prarie, what a yawner especially for an 8 year old. Still going to finish it someday ermm yep I will! I hope the grammar gestapo isn't reading this post. Sardonica TM

March 7, 2010 at 10:20 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

prairie* gulp

March 7, 2010 at 10:23 AM 
Anonymous Viktoria Sundqvist said...

At least they made movies or TV shows out of some of those, so you may not have to force yourself to read the books anymore...

March 7, 2010 at 10:36 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Viktoria - Funny how the Rivereast News had a full front page story on Ryan just this week. Tweeting? Are you serious? Tweeting is not journalism. It's vanity SMS-ing. I can get the sports scores / results anywhere. You. Need. To. Cover. Local. News. And not just the court cases and not just in Middletown and Cromwell. Either carry the local political and community news for Portland, East Haddam and East Hampton or decide to give up and do so publicly so we can find another way and stop relying on the local paper of record. Right now we're left with mudslinging in the area fishwraps. It's pathetic, and your paper should be leading, not following.

March 7, 2010 at 12:53 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home