Saturday, April 10, 2010

Visiting the historical society

Executive Director Debby Shapiro took me on a wonderful tour of the Middlesex County Historical Society last Friday.

It was raining, and I couldn't wait to get inside as I stood on the steps outside the General Mansfield House at 151 Main St., eagerly ringing the doorbell.

Debby welcomed me inside and told me all about the history of this town, from its early shipping days to the highlights of manufacturing and famous people from the area. She showed me the current Civil War exhibit and the memorial wall of all local soldiers who died. The society also has a small collection of weapons from the war, some of which were made right here in the city.

I learned about a lead mine in the area of River Road, and of secret meetings as part of the underground railroad.

I also found out that the church next to O'Rourke's Diner is facing the wrong way on Main Street, since it was moved from another location many years ago but not turned accordingly.

If you have a moment, you should really stop by the historical society yourself to meet Debby. The society is open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays and from 10 a.m. to noon on Fridays.

Or you can WATCH THE VIDEO HERE.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home